Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Chapter 33

Avan had allowed his followers to rest. It would take some time for many of them to learn to live the way they should. Many had strange ways of moving, which they had learnt over time would reduce their pain. These would have to be unlearned Never mind. It would take time, but it would happen.

Now he had to make these priests his offer. He expected most of them would accept; the vast majority had lost their purpose in life, and would cling to anything. Besides, what he needed their help with was important.

Tera actually had tried to help them, as it turned out. He had managed to grant some of them a rudimentary ability to shape haze, even to pull jinrae through from Vinidan Same, though that was probably more a curse than a blessing. Tera hadn't managed to grant anyone enough power to set him free, but enough had been granted to be useful to Avan. He still wasn't sure how Tera had done it, but enough time focussed on one thing – escape – could lead to interesting innovations. He would have to research that when this current crisis was over.

He would have the first conversation with Torpor. That kid seemed reliable.

***

“Torpor!” He had found him. The priest dutifully turned and walked over to Avan.

“Today I will ask people to help. It is an important task. More important than freeing Tera was.”

“I wish you luck. What is the task which you ask in exchange for healing us?”

“It's tricky to explain. Tera gave many of you abilities. I would ask that you use those abilities to push away someone that is a threat to everyone. Someone more powerful than me or Tera, and who wants to consume us all.”

“Interesting. We are obliged to help. Of course we will do what we can, just as you did for us.”

“I can't ask you to speak on behalf of the others, but thank you for your willingness to help.”

“It is owed. I know you had little respect for Tera, but I have been thinking.”

“Yes?”

“Tera promised that once he was freed, we would also be free. When he was eventually released, we were not cured, so we didn't believe. Now we have been, which means the prophecy was true!”

“Hold on a second! Tera didn't cure you. I did. He had nothing to do with it.”

“Nevertheless, it was exactly as he predicted!”

Avan just shook his head. Perhaps the priest was onto something, but it was more likely to be coincidence than future sight. There were no skills of that nature in Tera's realm. Unless he had stolen that from someone else, he would not have been able to see. And if he could, why would he allow himself to get trapped by Avan? Perhaps he had been compelled by Garon? Now there was an interesting thought. Compelled by Garon to endure over a hundred thousand years of excruciating agony. If Garon could compel someone to that, was he really worth fighting for? Perhaps people should just start shifting into Cennon and live out their days there. Sure, they would be corrupted by the alien realms, possibly more than moving realms within Garon, but maybe they would not suffer the same abuse. Then again, what did either of them care about individuals? And Garon could compel them to stay if truly necessary.

What a sticky situation!

He knew why he had these thoughts, of course. Garon's thoughts were the composite of the thoughts and communication between all his parts – including the Nul. Especially the Nul. In some ways they were core to Garon's existence – focal points of information transfer between realms, storehouses for ancient knowledge, moving hubs of activity – if Avan was having thoughts like this, then Garon was considering giving up, trying to save what he could of himself by merging with the predator. But very little would be saved that way.

The priest had begun wandering off. He could be relied on, at least. He had agreed out of a feeling of gratitude, without even knowing what would be required.

“Torion!”

The priest kept moving. Why had he used that name?

“Torpor!”

Torpor stopped, turned, came back. Not being the type to lord it over others, Avan also walked to him.

“You are very different to what Tera was.”

Avan chucked softly. “Yes, he and I are of different breeds, in more ways than one. In particular, I don't claim to be a god. Do you know what I'm asking of the priesthood yet?”

Torpor looked a little startled by the question. “Uh, not really. Worship I assumed, though Tera had an ulterior motive for the worship also. Besides, you claim not to be a god.” A wry smile.

“Well, I don't know if ulterior is the word. I'd say 'only motive' personally.”

“Ah. What then?”

“All that contact with Tera granted some of the priesthood certain gifts. I'm not sure how he managed it, but over half of you can do something called hazeshaping. Hazeshaping is, essentially, the process by which power is derived. A hazeshaper can draw power from the void between worlds, and shape it how they fancy. The hazeshaper can perform other tricks too, and its one of these which I would ask the priesthood's help in. Just as a hazeshaper can draw stuff in, I need you to push something back out.”

Through this speech Torpor had waited patiently. Once Avan was clearly finished, he spoke.

“I don't see how this changes things. I will still help if I can.”

Avan threw up his arms. “Don't you care that it could be dangerous? That it might change who you are as a person? Don't you care about the power hazeshaping will grant you? Most people care about these things.”

“No. I have lived a life of pain. I found a purpose to keep me alive. The purpose was gone and I still had the pain. I had no reason to live. Now the pain is gone and I have a new purpose.”

“Right. Is this how most of the priesthood feels then?”

“Largely.”

“Could you communicate my request to them?” Avan was tired of this. He things other than the needs of younglings on his mind. Let them take care of their own. He had done his part.

“As you wish.” Torpor bowed low and departed, shaved head glistening in the candle light.

1 comment:

  1. Nice writing style, Eric. You've taken an intesting theme and created powerful characters to develop it, I think. I just scanned 2 of your chapters to come to that opinion. The book is not what I'd read, but that's a matter of taste, which is something different from your author qualities. You may have gold in your hands, so I wish you luck with brushing and polishing it. (I myself just "won" nanowrimo today, and I'm just very happy with that. Good luck to you! Ton from NL

    ReplyDelete