Sunday, November 28, 2010

Chapter 26

“Marrow!” Torion called out. “Marrow Tend!”

“Yes,” the mysterious man turned around. Torion did not piece together the strange coincidence that this man would be so simple to find.

“I wanted you for something, but I forget what it is.”

“Ah. It was probably something troubling you.”

“Yes! I remember now. My memories! I need to fix them.”

“Well, that you remember even that, despite needing a little prompting, is good news.”

“Yes! But I had a plan. And I can't remember what it was.”

“Most likely something to do with recovering them. Usually you people try to escape this world, looking for a way out. But the easiest way out is the way you came in, and that way lies the True Death.”

“You mean I am not the only one?”

“Oh no, you voyagers are hard to contain. But you usually take care of yourselves. When your memory returns – and that doesn't happen to everyone, but it will happen to you – you'll realise that this place is not all that bad after all. You never have to eat or take care of any bodily function. There is no pain, your body can't be damaged. Have you never wondered why a bed made of woven slashgrass is so comfortable? You just... exist.”

“Do any escape by some other way?” Marrow Tend was right – his memories were coming back. At least, his memories of this place.

“Occasionally. Mostly they don't realise they had another existence. They tend to require... prodding, and even then it isn't a sure thing.”

“Oh, so you... prodded me?”

“Yes”

“Why?”

Again that mocking smile. “You are necessary! I've told you this, though I can understand if you forgot.”

“Necessary for what!?” He was all but shouting now, so infuriated. He would never have put up with this treatment before. This Marrow Tend was as bad as Avan Nerovast! That name! I remember!

“Wait, I remember a name. Avan Nerovast.”

“Ah yes. Him. That's a memory I wish you hadn't recalled. Moving right along, you are necessary for, I don't know yet, but it's something. With the rate you are recovering, soon you'll be able to resume your wanderings. You have worlds to rediscover!”

Was there something he had remembered? A name? Someone who Marrow Tend reminded him of? He had forgotten. He would escape; his memory was improving. Names, faces, places even. No events though. Ah! Avan Nerovast! That was the name!

No comments:

Post a Comment